Bestselling, and award-winning author Hank Phillippi Ryan is the guest in Episode 15 of The Author Biz.
Hank Phillippi Ryan is the bestselling author of seven award-winning novels of suspense, the latest of which, TRUTH BE TOLD, is the third in the Jane Ryland series. It’s being released on October 7th and is already a Library Journal Editor’s Pick and RT Book Reviews Top Pick. It has also received starred reviews from Booklist and Library Journal.
But Hank’s not only an author; she has also won 32 (at last count) Emmys and a dozen Edward R. Murrow awards for her work as an investigative journalist.
She’s obviously an amazing writer, but she’s also someone who loves meeting with readers and fans, and travels extensively to support her books. She also attends lots of conferences, which is how I met her earlier this year at Sleuthfest. Hank was a Keynote speaker for the event, but she was also the hardest working attendee I saw at the conference.
When I saw the way she worked, and enjoyed Sleuthfest, I knew she there was much she could teach us.
In this episode, we’ll talk about how she handles her travels, her conference schedules, and her extremely popular social media accounts. I’ve noted some other interview highlights below for people looking for information on specific points.
- What came first in the Jane Ryland series, the plot or the character?
- How Jane Ryland’s character arc follows what is actually happening in the news business.
- Does the pressure for each successive book ramp up because of the success of earlier books in a series?
- #HankOnTour, dealing with the fear of touring to support your books and learning to love the process.
- The benefits of going to live events to support your fellow authors.
- Dealing with wardrobe issues while touring in the age of social media.
- Why Hank thinks book events are the ultimate social media for an author.
- Going to conferences because something wonderful always happens – even if you don’t recognize it at the time.
- How Hank uses social media and what makes her so good at it.
- How having blog partners can make things even more interesting at conferences.
Please Take our Listener Survey:
This is the second, and final week of the first annual The Author Biz listener survey. If you listen to the show, please take a few minutes to respond. It’s just ten questions, and your answers will help set the direction of the show for the coming months. You can take the completely anonymous survey here:
The Author Biz Listener Survey theauthorbiz.com/survey
Hank Phillippi Ryan Website
Hank’s Amazon Author Page
#Hank on Tour – Hank’s Tour Schedule
Hank’s Facebook Page
Hank’s Twitter Page
Jungle Red Writers website
Femmes Fatales website
Sisters in Crime New England Website