Emmy award winning film producer Laurie Kahn is the guest in Episode 41 of The Author Biz.
For five years award winning film producer Laurie Kahn and her team took their cameras and followed the lives of five published romance authors and one unpublished newbie. They filmed as those six authors built their businesses, found and lost loved ones and coped with a tsunami of change in publishing.
The resulting film is called Love Between the Covers, a feature-length documentary about the surprisingly powerful community of women who read and write romance novels.
While filming Laurie had access to some of the most successful authors in the world and was able to film them as they built their businesses and dealt with constant industry change.
I caught up with Laurie last week while she was in Toronto at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Film Festival for the world premiere of her film.
What you’ll learn in this 47-minute interview:
- How I learned of the project from an insightful Maclean’s articled from Emma Teitel titled, Why romance novelists are the rock stars of the literary world.
- How Laurie’s interest in communities of women led to her documentary film, Love Between the Covers.
- A discussion of the similarities in the different types of genre fiction.
- What makes the romance market unique in terms of the relationship between authors and readers.
- Why the “Pay it Forward” ethic is so prevalent in romance.
- Why the romance community believes a rising tide lifts all boats.
- Why Laurie sees the business and the community of the romance market as completely intertwined.
- Why ideas spread so quickly in the romance author community.
- Laurie explains how she took several years of film and turned it into a cohesive and interesting story.
- The importance of hustling in the “era of the internet.”
- What Laurie learned from romance authors that can be applied to her business of making documentary films.
The Love Between the Covers website – Lovebetweenthelines.com
Love Between the Covers Facebook page
Laurie’s production company website blueberryhillproductions.com/
The Popular Romance Project website: popularromanceproject.org/
If you like what you’re hearing on The Author Biz Podcast, the best way to support the show is to take just a few seconds to leave a rating and/or comment over on iTunes, or through your iPhone. Thanks!